Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Coreban Bus travels South

On the road again! But this time I get to take the family so it's PAC the bus and head south the boy even got a day off school so we could get an early start on the traffic.


Thursday night we hauled the Coreban bus down past Ballina to New Italy rest stop for our first night in the massive bed in the back of the bus in between the snoring the trucks and the freezing weather I think I got a few winks but it was fun to PAC the family in and to start the adventure.


The next morning we were up early and cruised through to Coffs for a coffee break and refuel. With Coffs only an hour from our final destination we were squared away the Scotts Head Holiday Park before lunch and out on the point surfing a few waves soon after.


I've never been in this part of Australia before and at first sight you think why not as it is just beautiful and has everything you could ask for in quite seaside getaway (I think it's a bit of a secret on how good this place and I'm sure the locals would love to keep it like that but to bad I've found it now and I'll be back for sure).


Saturday morning brought another classic Aussie winter morning coldish but just perfect and myself and Taj (my son) were fired up to get back out in the waves and score a few before the crowded turned up. Another epic session with the boy but every session that a father and son has together is epic and I am enjoying seeing him fall in love with the ocean and with surfing he has more froth than a badly pored Guinness YEEW happy days.


Obviously we had come down for a race carnival held by Scotts Head SLSC which had a middle distance race Saturday and a BOP style race on the Sunday.


Saturdays race was from Grassy Head back to Scotts Head a distance of about 7km the race was basically flat with just a light flew wing breeze blowing just enough to have you chasing that bump just in front of you so a bit of a lung burner but fun non the less.


Kelly Margetts paddling like a machine took 1st with Noel Graham 1st in the unlimited division. After the race it was back out on the big boards to catch a few sliders out on the point and was a fun time had by all involved.


Taj my son being a normal nagging 7year old keep hassling me for 2 buck to buy a raffle ticket which proved to be a great investment with him winning 1st place only to decline the top prize of a paddle to get mum and dad a bottle of red wine well done boy brownie points for you to cash in some time.


The evening was topped off with a few brews and a feed at the bowlo and then back watch the GP only to fall asleep before the start.


Sunday

Another freezing morning greeted us on Sunday morning but still with a few small waves and a great canvas for the BOP style race.


In consolation with a few of the more experienced paddlers a good fun course was set and it was time to get down to racing, all fired up and keen to get another good result I was keen to get underway however once the gun sounded I ran in to a hole lost my board for a few seconds jump up fell off and got going again so my plan to hang with Kelly and Jake was out the window with the getting a great start and pulling a gap that I just could not bridge so it was change of plan and time to get to work on trying to restore my race and try and paddle back through the field though that's racing I guess and theres always another around the bend.


Ended up really enjoying the race and managed to get back to 4th so not all bad especially how well Kelly and Jake are going, super fit with great technique seem to me they are really setting the standard in Aussie and the world so fantastic to be racing against such quality opposition.


Again after the race it was fun to go and catch a few sliders on the point with the crew and just enjoy the afternoon it's such an awesome place.


A big thank to Jas and the Scotts Head SLSC was a fantastic event and can't wait to get back there next year YEEW.



TOMOZZA OFF TO LENNOX YEEW.

No comments:

Post a Comment